3.06.2014

The Dangers of Keeping Up with The Joneses

photo[2]

It's simple. Don't spend money you don't have to buy things you don't need to keep up with people who could really care less..

We've all looked at things other people have and wanted them for ourselves.

I remember when my husband and I were engaged, my father in law took us on the west side of Rochester and he showed us where he and my mother in law lived when they first got married. The purpose was to show us how they started off.  He said something so profound and it has stuck with me to this very day. "DON'T LET DEBT, DETERMINE YOUR DESTINY." Wow. I never thought of it that way. How does this tie in to keeping up with the jones'? Well, we often will go above and beyond, acquiring stuff..to keep up with this persona of what and who people think we are. New clothes, new cars, new phones, big house, big car note, big vacations..big DEBT. Don't you want your goal to be to live life on your terms? Don't live life on the terms of Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover.

Comparison is the theif of joy. We are all on different journeys. What is for you, will be for you, and what is for someone else is for them. Don't worry about what is going on in somebody else's life. If people are so concerned about your clothes, car, shoes, bags, house, and not concerned about who you are, maybe it's time to reevaluate some relationships. God has a plan and purpose for everyone. Don't override HIS plan for yours.

I HOPE I struck a nerve! Let's do better so we can be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment